Beginners Guide to Choosing the Right Wall Art
Choosing wall art can be a daunting task, especially if you're not sure where to start. However, with a few simple tips, you can select the perfect art piece that complements your space and adds to its overall look and feel.
Principles of Choosing Wall Art
Before we dive into specific tips, let's start with some general principles that apply to choosing wall art:
- Wall art should always complement and add to a room rather than become the main attraction.
- The size and style of the art piece should be appropriate for the space.
- Wall art should reflect the existing decor and colour palette of the room.
- The type of room and its purpose should be taken into consideration when choosing wall art.
- Having a running theme or style in your home or room can create cohesion and avoid chaos.
Tips for Choosing Wall Art
Now that we've established some basic principles, here are some tips for choosing the right wall art for your space:
1. Take Your Time to Learn What You Love
It's essential to know your own tastes when it comes to art. Take the time to explore different styles and themes like abstract art, people photography or something from a famous artist to determine what resonates with you. This will help you avoid making a choice you may regret or selecting art that doesn't fit in with the rest of your home.
2. Determine the Appropriate Size of the Art Piece
While a large art piece can be stunning, it's important to consider whether it's suitable for the room. Think about symmetry, creating a gallery wall, or mixing styles to determine the appropriate size of the art piece for your space.
3. Reflect the Existing Decor
Consider the colour palette and materials in your space and choose wall art that complements them. This will create a cohesive look that ties the room together.
4. Consider the Type of Room
The type of room and its purpose should be taken into account when choosing wall art. For example, if you're decorating a bedroom, consider choosing calming colours and images that promote relaxation.
5. Stick to a Theme
Having a running theme or style in your home or room can create cohesion and avoid chaos. Sticking to one theme will prevent you from accidentally buying art that doesn't fit your space and save you trouble in the long run.
Choosing the right wall art can be a fun and rewarding process. By following these simple tips, you can select the perfect piece that adds to your space and reflects your personal style.
Remember that wall art isn't limited to canvas and framed prints. You can also opt for hanging mirrors and patterned wallpaper from Pixalot. If you're not sure where to start, browse through our most popular black and white prints and abstract art collections.